Boyne Thunder Events
Schedule of Events
Thursday, July 6, 2017
- 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. – Boyne Thunder Participant Reception, Boyne Mountain Eagle’s Nest
Friday, July 7, 2017
- All day – Watch the Offshore Thunder boats arrive at the Boyne City Marina. This is a great opportunity to see the boats and meet the drivers.
- All day – Visit the Sponsor Display Area – Poker Run Village showcasing the latest innovations
- 1 p.m. – Thunder boat ride for Camp Quality Michigan Kids from City Marina
- 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. – Stroll the Streets of beautiful downtown Boyne City. This special evening features great music and entertainment, a display of Boyne Thunder boats and classic cars and lots of fun.
- 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. – Dinner at Veterans Park
- 8:30 p.m. – Stereo Wars at Marina
Saturday, July 8, 2017
- All Day – Fun and Excitement by the water and shopping in beautiful Boyne City
- All Day – Visit the Sponsor Display Area – Poker Run Village showcasing the latest innovations
- 8 a.m. to Noon – Farmers Market at Peninsula Beach.
- 10:00 a.m. – Engines ROAR and boats leave the dock.
- 10:15 a.m. – Parade lap begins for the 13th annual Boyne Thunder Poker Run. There will be three parade laps. Watch the start of this spectacular event from Veterans Park, located on the shore of beautiful Lake Charlevoix.
- 11:30 a.m. – The legendary Lake Charlevoix Champagne Cruise begins. There is no better way to enjoy Boyne Thunder than by cruising the lake aboard a luxury yacht. The cruise features appetizers and beverages as well as a chance to greet the boaters at the final card stop. Tickets are $100. Call Jeff at 231.582.2400 for availability.
- 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Boaters’ Reception at Sommerset Pointe Yacht Club.
- 7 p.m. – Dinner, Drinks, Music, and Benefit Auction at Veterans Park
What is a ”Poker Run”?
A Poker Run is not a race. It’s a game of chance and an assembly of some of the hottest boats in the Midwest. Local owners who just want to run their personal offshore boat with the big rigs will also be on hand. Even before the actual event begins, you can sense the anticipation. Like all boaters, Poker Runners are itching to head out on the open water. Sure they love the attention their sleek, super-fast water warriors bring them. Sure, they listen carefully to important details outlining proper conduct, safety and rules of the road at the driver’s meeting. But, they just can’t wait to greet the waters of Lake Michigan.
A Poker Run is fun on the water with power to burn. It’s a few glorious days of performance boating at its finest, a chance to renew old acquaintances and make new friends. Each participating boat navigates a carefully charted course, stopping at five checkpoints along the route to pick up a sealed envelope containing a single playing card. At the Saturday evening party, the cards are played and the crew holding the best poker hand is declared the winner!
There’s an unquantifiable joy in feeling the wind whip your face on the open water and experiencing a roller-coaster-like ride over wakes and waves. But signing on for a Poker Run also means being part of a well-organized, activity-oriented, fun-filled safe event that benefits the children of Camp Quality and Challenge Mountain.
The best seats in the house to watch the Boyne Thunder Poker Run Saturday, July 8, on Lake Charlevoix. Come aboard one of the yachts, generously donated for the day by area boat owners. Once aboard, you will be served beverages and appetizers while you cruise about Lake Charlevoix, viewing all of the action from your vantage on the water. Your yacht will join up with all of the other Champagne boats for a “raft off.” The party continues with boat-hopping visits between guests of all the participating boats.
It’s your own chance to see these racers up close and personal, as the Poker Run boats come right past for their final card stop!
All of this for just a $100 donation/per person to Camp Quality Michigan. 100% of the proceeds help provide free, year-round activities for kids with cancer, ages 4-17.
Stroll the Streets of Downtown Boyne City
Downtown Boyne City celebrates the Boyne Thunder Poker Run beginning Friday evening from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. with “Stroll the Streets,” a street party with a collage of music, entertainment, dining, shopping, boat displays, and a car show. Boyne City rolls out the welcome mat to all boaters, visitors and residents for the evening in the heart of the downtown district.